Saturday, June 22, 2013

"See You Down the Road" Blue Rodeo in Stratford, Ontario

Diamond Mine - Blue Rodeo

Another fabulous evening spent in the company of Jim Cuddy, Greg Keelor and the rest of the boys that make up BLUE RODEO. I am a career long fan of the band from the first time I heard Rose Coloured Glasses on the radio. And then I saw the video on Much Music with the keyboardist Bob Wiseman jumping up to the beat of Greg singing "Day after day..." (3:40 on the official video) and I felt such joy - someone wipe this silly grin off my face. The energy that I felt when they sang...it was infectious. I ran out and bought the album, one play through and I was hooked. It was like getting two albums for the price of one. Greg and Jim had very distinctive voices and styles and i was drawn to each for different reasons - but the harmonisations made them a unified force. Over the next 25 years from one release to the next - what's not to love? Let your heart dance with mine to the beat of the music...


It's difficult to classify their genre. There were times they were considered a country band that occasionally crossed over - but that was a lot from the name I think. Some Blues too ;) There are songs that have a decidely country feel with the instrumentation and cadence of the tune - collectively and solo efforts. And then there is more raucous tune that features an accordian melding with the electric and acoustic guitars. Maybe it's my Italian background but I want to start passing the red-wine stained, wicker-covered wine bottle, get up and sashay around the room with an inebriated uncle (aunt or other family friend) like I did during our version of Newfoundlands kitchen party.

The show last night was held in Stratford, Ontario. Third time's a charm, the show was cancelled two times previously for various issues that were beyond the control of the boys in the band. Worked out great for me, because the person originally scheduled to go had other commitments leaving a ticket for me. I was thrilled to be asked to attend. Of course we got there early and enjoyed some of the sights and sounds of both the city of Stratford Ontario and Blues and RibFest. Okay, it was general admission and we like to be up front and center. So yes, we were at the front of the line, and when the doors opened we whooped our way in - front and center. It's all part of the experience and we met some nice people - Paul, Jerry, Sue, Josh (so familiar looking)! Only fitting since we met at as early rising audience members for a Blue Rodeo appearance on Canada AM. Another first, we were interviewed by the local newspaper "The Stratford Gazette" and proclaimed "two of Blue Rodeo's biggest fans". WooHoo! Now we just need a Meet and Greet to fulfill a true fan's fantasy. Time to chat and get to know them. 

Blue Rodeo hits the Stratford Stage Newspaper article from South Western Ontario Stratford Gazette online.

Some pictures instead of words depicting the concert experience. Enjoy, share but please credit. I'm not a pro, just a fan. I am sorry that some are sideways - They were upright when I uploaded them. If I can figure out how to fix, I will. Meanwhile - do yourself a favour....LISTEN TO THE MUSIC! BUY THE MUSIC! YOU'LL LOVE THE MUSIC!














More pictures can be found on my facebook page :)

Credit where credit is due
To Jim Cuddy, Greg Keelor and the boys in the band - without them their wouldn't be such great music in my head :)
The Stratford Gazette

No comments:

Post a Comment