Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Semi-colon Means It's Not Over!

Arizona (I Miss You Most)- Brian Byrne

Brian Byrne is a vocalist for the group I Mother Earth. Upon hearing of the untimely death of another friend to suicide, he decided to use the power of the music to create awareness and change. He penned the single I Miss You Most and created the Arizona project. Available on iTunes, all the money raised from sales will go to Collateral Damage which is a Canadian suicide prevention and awareness group. 

Personally I am all for awareness. Talking about those subjects that most of us are uncomfortable doing takes some of the stigma away. If one person gains confidence to reach out and ask for help - we are one step closer to ultimate success. I am a bit of a paradox, I will talk to anyone about anything and if I feel un-judged I will even share private experiences (where relevant ;) But I know me, and in all my numerous years on this planet I have never had the strength to reach out in the times of greatest need. I have paid a price for this flaw, but fortunately not the ultimate price. 


Knowing there is someone out there that cares is a big part of it. 

Knowing that you are not alone. Not in your thoughts. Not in your world. 

Knowing that although it is stormy, the sun shall shine again.  

Knowing that there is always hope and things will get better. When you hit the bottom - the only way to go is up!

If you know someone and you are concerned let them know you are there for them and remember not every cry for help is vocalized. 

Emotional pain can't be fixed by popping a pill. Emotional pain will still be there after we try to make it go away by physical action. We only add physical pain to the burden we carry. The logical and rational parts of our brain usually understand this but overwhelming emotional pain breaks us. Emotions trample all over the logic and we go for what we think is an easy fix. 

Talking to someone, anyone - even yourself will help you see logic through the tears. For me it's often a one-sided dialogue with music. All-inclusive and not discriminating in any way, the music and the words speak to me. In the beat I can find peace, the rhythm like a heartbeat that doesn't stop. The repeating chorus reminds me that the light and goodness of life will shine again - if I give it time. As the singer and song survived so too can I. 

The Semi-colon Project is an awareness project that I heard about for the first time today on the radio. I was intrigued and had to look it up and find out more. I was literally gob-smacked. I just kept repeating to myself OMG! OMG! It was like they knew me, had crawled into my head and stole my thoughts. Verification that the internet/Big Brother was spying on me and trolling me online. :)

Today, April 16th is the day of recognition for the Semi-colon Project. If you are someone who self-harms, are suicidal, depressed, suffering from anxiety, have a broken heart, lost someone you loved - you are encouraged to draw a semi-colon on your wrist in a show of solidarity. When people see it they will hopefully understand and you may find comfort in seeing the semi-colon on another. 

Why a semi-colon? In the sentence that is your life a semi-colon means it's not over. As they so eloquently put it "Semi-colons represent a sentence that the author has chosen not to end. You're the author, the sentence is your life." A question mark at the end finishes it on a high note and leaves us wondering. If it's not good at the end it can't be the end. A good story we like to read and hear about over and over again has a good ending. 

My Semi-colon
I want to take it a step further and make the idea of the Semi-colon Project a 24/7/365 goal. I want to take the comfort I felt enveloped in when I read about the Project and keep it in my heart always. I don't want to tattoo a semi-colon on my wrist but I want to re-draw it on my wrist when I am in need of comfort and breath deeply with each stroke of the marker on my scarred flesh. 

One finally sentiment to ponder as I head out into the sunshine and warm ocean breezes. "Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse, suicide eliminates the possibility of it ever getting better."

I love that you took the time to read this. I value you!


Credit where credit is due:
$1.29 is all it takes to add your voice to the cause. Go to iTunes and download Brian Brynes song. Please
Learn more: The Semi-Colon Project is on facebook. Look them up. Make a mark for someone you love or for yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment