Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Blue Rodeo Posse Strikes Again with Kid Cuddy :) and MKOK

Up On That Cloud - Blue Rodeo

I think that by the end of this post, the song selection will make a lot of sense to those who ponder such things. And if you are so inclined you can check back at a later date for the posting of pictures to go with this story.

From the time that I moved from Ontario to the East coast of this great country, I knew that I would be back to visit. But the dates were up to me, so I chose to come at a time that I could see an awesome concert, oh yeah and spend some time with my adult children and their significant others while I was here.

There are many things that unite this vast county from coast to coast and from triumph to tragedy. Terry Fox from British Columbia who gave us the Marathon of Hope to the recent slaughter of 3 RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in the small eastern community of Moncton, New Brunswick. And music. From Stompin' Tom Connors and Matt Mays in the east to Bachman Turner Overdrive and Matthew Good in the west. And for 25+ years, live from every corner of Canada, Blue Rodeo. 

A true band for the people. Blue Rodeo made a name for themselves by playing the small towns and out of the way hockey arenas when they could clearly sell out larger venues. There is greater opportunity to connect with your audience if they rock out at your feet rather than if they are just a face in the darkened crowd of a stadium. Not that they don't play and sell out larger places like Massey Hall in Toronto and Metro Centre in Halifax, because they do. The Blue Rodeo family of fans (or Crazies) are a dedicated bunch and follow the Blue Road wherever they may travel. For me, never before have I cultivated such strong friendship by just having the love of Blue Rodeo in common. 

Debra is my Blue Rodeo buddy. We met by fate as winning guests to see Blue Rodeo perform on Canada AM. I didn't want to go alone, she was worried that she didn't get her official confirmation. The weather wasn't good, the drive to the studio in the early hours of the morning were concerns. We were one - two in line and became fast friends despite the odds of either one us not attending was great. I've met other people at concerts but the Blue Rodeo bunch is a dedicated crowd like nothing I've seen before. You've got your contingent that love Jim Cuddy and go to drool and curse his wife (lol), or the rugged introspection of Greg Keelor chewing gum as he sings, you've got some who have formed an attachment because the catalogue of songs has been defining moments in their lifetime. I'm too old to say my lifetime, but I will say my adulthood. I've been a fan from the first release 25 years ago..  

Blue Rodeo has been playing a small community venue for nearly 20 years and I have attended since hearing about it three years ago. The story is told, that in the beginning a member of the management team knew someone in the town and the gig was booked as a fundraiser (and still is for the local group that hosts the event). Tickets are limited and sell out quickly. The small hockey arena is 1/3 stage and the rest for people. We plan to arrive very early so that we can stand and savour the music from front and centre for the entire performance. Bus-loads of people arrive from surrounding areas and some hire limos. Security is tight and spirits are high. 

The artwork on the tickets is absolutely beautiful and are a treasured keepsake. We were fortunate to meet Karen who offered to get us one of the advertising posters that mimic the tickets. Chuck, went to the local Home Hardware for us so we wouldn't have to leave our coveted front of the line spot and came back with three. One for Debra, myself and our new friend Lynn. Thanks to them both for their thoughtfulness. I love it. 

By the time the doors opened we had met some of the members of the opening band, My Kind Of Karma and were more than a little excited. I did a little happy dance being the first one into the arena and with a wristband affixed rushing the stage. Hugging that rail, we become a family. Total strangers ask you to close ranks while they go to the washroom and you happily comply knowing they are as dedicated as you are. 

It turns out that last years opening act Who's Army has disbanded with various members pursuing other avenues. It's unfortunate, I really enjoyed them when we heard them the previous years. So this year we heard, My Kind of Karma from British Columbia. Many of the members are originally from the Southern Ontario area where they attended school and  re-connected on the West to make music and a name for themselves. Do yourself a favour Kelowna and check them out at a bar near you. They don't play a pigeon hole style of music but rather a pleasing mix of rock/folk/reggae. I knew it was going to be different when I saw a ukulele and a banjo on stage. One song and I was hooked. The music, the words, the harmony and band members, they had karma and they shared with the audience. I look forward to adding the CD I purchased to my i-Pod. 

I had heard earlier that Devin Cuddy had suffered an injury playing hockey but I had no idea how bad it was. It became quite clear when a fifth member joined the quartet and sat at the seat of Devin's keyboard. And Devin holding his right hand in an invisible sling was braced and sore looking. He had surgery the day before and yet he was here to entertain us! I appreciate his dedication as I was really looking forward to hearing him and his band again. They are amazing. Nichol Robertson on electric guitar can really make it sing, he is so talented, as is Devon Richardson on the bass. From the first time I saw Zach Sutton on drums, he made me smile. I am transfixed by the expressions on his face when he beats those skins. But Devin himself looked lost and lonely on that stage, singing while someone else tickled the ivories. It was good though, because you really got to appreciate the man and the vocals on a different level with him standing so vulnerable in front of us instead of seated behind the "NO NO" keyboard. His set included some tracks from this Volume One release and some that we may get to enjoy on his second instalment due out on July 29th. I can hardly wait, is to too early to start begging for a signed copy? 

The band had left the stage, the roadies were setting the stage for Blue Rodeo and removing the Devin Cuddy Band equipment. Zach returned to collect his drumsticks and walking to the edge of the stage, reached down and handed Debra and I each one. It's amazing how a seemingly simple gesture accompanied by such an engaging smile can make another person feel. He is truly a wonderful human being and it was a pleasure to meet his Mom after the show and tell her the same. Mom's like being proud of their offspring. Zach's mom has good reason to be! 

It seemed an interminably long wait for Blue Rodeo to take the stage, but I think that is because we were standing on guard of our posts. For as we were entranced by the music, the arena had filled up and the crowd behind us was jocking for position. Hoping that we would slip up and move. One even asked a rather tall gent if her friend could stand in front because she was short. He suggested that if viewing was an issue she could have arrived 3 hours early like him also. Yes we are Blue Rodeo fans that are standing at the barrier a drum stick length from the stage! Alcohol tends to get some a little more rowdy at a public event, and this year was no exception, I had part of a beer poured down my back and one lady got covered in the front. It's not intentional, it's people jostling for position and tipsy glasses :)

From the very first song I knew that we were in for a real treat! The entire set was a fine mixture of new and old tunes. From Mattawa to Diamond Mine. For what it's worth, probably one of the finest single set lists I have heard played live. Although I am saddened by Greg's struggles with hearing issues, I kind of like what it's done to the band. I mean it was really neat to see him on the electric, but strumming the acoustic just seems so comfortable that (like Devin) I get more of a feeling of the man behind the music. I quite like this new role of his, even singing at the mic with nothing but passion and that beautiful voice of his. Good to see that Jim looked more rested than the last time I saw him. Of course his voice was perfection as usual. I am in such awe of the talent of this band. I am literally mesmerised by the music, the men, the show. So much talent! Colin Cripps who took over much of the electric guitar work that had been Greg's was a welcome addition of skill and I do enjoy his addition of vocal accompaniment especially on songs from the latest release "In Our Nature". Mike Boguski really gets into his flawless piano solos with passion. Every time I see Bob Egan play his repertoire of musical instruments, I wish I could play them too. Glenn Milchem is harder to see these days as he is hidden behind the plexiglass barrier that was erected to help preserve Greg's failing hearing. Bazil Donovan is always tucked neatly against the back of the stage. He looks like his playing the bass is so effortless and then you see the energy he is putting into his riffs. I curse my camera as I try and try to get a decent picture of that legend in the shadows. 

Not so entertaining was the woman who stormed the stage and tried to grab Jim. Not expecting that kind of intrusion must be a bit scary in this day and age especially. Seeing the vast number of security before the show and the three that rushed up to haul her ass off, I am surprised it even happened. Greg made light of the situation, suggesting she was an old one-night stand of Jim's. I hope that her drunken behaviour doesn't damper any plans to play this venue in the future. 

We were hoping for a encore that included the return of the Devin Cuddy Band on stage with Blue Rodeo and we were not disappointed. I felt so bad for Devin, clearly his previous set had taken a physical toll on him, for he obviously went off-stage for some medication. His father even remarked on his dazed appearance saying "Over here Devin" urging him to come to the centre mic with him. Only Zach left his instrument of choice to pick up a tambourine and share the mic with Colin. Devon joined Greg  and Nichol and Jim flanked Devin. The substitute piano player (I'm sorry I forget his name) took a turn on Jim's on-stage piano. Lost Together sounds amazing with that choir of voices and I love it when Zach tries to engage the gang into some choreographed dance moves. Well, not so much dance as moving to the beat :)

We were on such a high as the bands left the stage. We were in no hurry to let the feeling go and were milling about when Zach came out from the back and we had the opportunity to chat for a bit before being introduced to his mom. We eventually all made our way to the merch tables to get our new My Kind of Karma CD signed. And of course to express our appreciation one final time (that night) to Devin and his band.

******************************************************************************

That was the concert. This is about the day after. An amazing day for this musical junkie! We had decided to join my son and his girlfriend for a meal and some live music. We had picked The Walkervilles who were playing at the Rivoli on Queen Street, Debra knew of them and my sons friend was an avid fan and planning to attend as well. It was turning into a real party.

On the way to the Rivoli, as we walked on Queen Street I saw a familiar figure strolling towards us. I couldn't believe it, and I didn't believe it until I called the name Baz when he was parallel with us and he turned that it was actually him. We introduced ourselves and offered praise for the previous nights performance and then we let him go on his way. I was so gob-smacked star struck that I completely forgot to get a photo memory. Yes, I am still kicking myself.

After a quick bite to eat, the four of us decided to stroll the street in search of a watering hole to quench our thirst. I knew that without a doubt we would end up at the Cameron House because I wanted to share that intriguing spot with my son. And as I was looking up at the ants garnishing the side of the building I was alerted to a familiar figure standing on the side street looking at the same view as I. It was Devin! Ignoring traffic I turned in the middle of the intersection to make my way for yet another hello. I have so much admiration for this man and his talent, I can't even express it adequately.

Inside the Cameron House, Al Tuck serenaded us via recording as we enjoyed our suds and the atmosphere of the storied and historic venue. A final moment of star-gazing came when we spotted Whitney Rose sitting at the bar as we were leaving. That is one artist that I am anxious to see live as well. Our planned main event was icing on a perfect day spent with music, musicians and loved ones. 

PICTURES TO FOLLOW SHORTLY!

No comments:

Post a Comment