Saturday, December 03, 2011

Do You Remember the Top Ten at 10:00

We Will Still Need A Song - Hawksley Workman


Have you figured it out yet? Music is my life. I can't stand silence, I guess I figure you will get enough of it when we are "6 feet under". I know, I know, technically I am not supposed to be alive to notice the silence...but it is the analogy that always pops in my head when I think of silence. In fact, there have been times when my home and even vehicle have left me thinking of the "eternal box" when it is quiet. To that end...music is always playing. Even now, as I sit downstairs at the computer, if I should wander upstairs the noise of the radio will greet me. My ideal would be the same music piped into every room of the house and outside so at least you are listening to the same song as you wander but...I'm not a millionaire yet lol!


One of my fondest and earliest memories of doing something as a family is sitting on the chesterfield learning the words to the song "Farewell to Nova Scotia". We were an Italian family living in Thunder Bay, Ontario so I often asked myself why that song? I was probably only about 6 or 7 years old when this happened so not cognizant enough to think of asking my mom why she chose to teach us that song. However with years and wisdom, I know have my theories which will never be disproven so I can be right forever. My Mom came to Canada as a young girl and it is likely that she landed by boat at Halifax Harbours' Pier 21. Her first look at her new world must have left a lasting impact. I know that my first visit there certainly left an impact on me. I don't think I have been to a more beautiful place. 


The first present I ever remember receiving from my mother was a 45 called Day After Day by Badfinger. I got it for not chewing my nails, a habit my mother detested. We used to play records - Mom's collection was primarily songs sung in Italian from the old country that she would play when we had company. But, when we were alone, the radio on the console stereo that my father built would belt out the latest Rock and Roll tunes on CKPR's playlist. In the evenings at 10:00 the days countdown of the top 10 songs in the city were played. It was a contest but since we never won, I don't remember the prizes. We would sit by the radio and write down all the songs and artists from number 10 down. On the old rotary telephone we would dial all but the last number of the station for we knew that you only had to identify the number one song within a couple of notes in order to win. And no matter how fast you thought you were that busy signal buzzed in your ear. And we re-dialed over and over again until the end of the song and winner was announced. You didn't give up, the other callers might have gotten it wrong. It was as entertaining as it was frustrating, it was family game time.


All four of us kids played piano, so when the radio wasn't on, there was a good chance someone was sitting at the piano practicing or just fiddling on the keys. Well maybe not me. I did it because I had to, not because I like it. The music was okay but I have never enjoyed lessons - let me learn on my own. Mainstream education and me...that's another story :)


My younger sister Linda and I took listening to music one step further. For us, the appreciation of the song not only came with the music but with the words and the meaning behind the tune. To that end, we spent hours with our ears pressed up against the speaker of that old console stereo listening intently to the words and when they were deciphered, writing them down in a book. In order to ascertain a particularly puzzling piece of lyrics would entail lifting up the needle off the record and moving it back a few grooves, very carefully so as to not scratch the record and dullen the needle quicker. Additionally, we had a few pennies perched precariously on the head of the needle arm for balance so the song wouldn't skip. It was quite fun and challenging. It was nirvana when we bought a record that came with the lyrics! 


Many songs have the ability to transport my back to the time in my life when that song was popular or meaningful. Both good and bad, happy and sad. But if there is a song or more that I associate with you, you have impacted my life in some way. I will listen to anything and any genre, although I have my favourites naturally. There are really only two artists that I will change the station to avoid listening to, Prince and Annie Lennox. Never cared for anything either one of them put out...their voices and style grate on my last nerve.


In most cases, music can soothe this ravaged and aching soul and bring peace where mere words cannot. Turn it up so we can all enjoy the music inside my head....

No comments:

Post a Comment