Friday, July 12, 2013

Close Encouter of the Cuddy Kind :)

My Son's a Queer/I Got a Girl - Devin Cuddy Band

Continuing the love affair with great Canadian music I bring you the up and coming Devin Cuddy. Okay, he is the son of Blue Rodeo front man Jim Cuddy but father and son are like night and day in song styles, although the name association isn't likely to wane anytime soon. But there is no riding on the coat-tails for this son of a star, Devin seems to have taken a u-turn from the modern era and ended up in the 50's - long before my time :) and a far cry from the equally unique style of Blue Rodeo. Devin has paved his own road beautifully even though it is a road less travelled in 2013. Already sounding the seasoned pro it's hard to believe he is but 25. His words and music suggest a much older soul.

Music - great music is not bound by generations. That is why disco died. It was faddish - the Devin Cuddy Band plays the tunes that make you feel like you have been transported to another era. An era when it was fun to kick up your heels and dance and sing along. Devin is a masterful writer from the comical My Son's a Queer to the Louisiana Blues style of Sidewalk in the South each one makes you feel like you are part of the song/story. 

I first heard Devin and his band when they opened for Blue Rodeo at a gig in May of this year. I was so impressed with the brief set that after the concert I made my way to the merchandise table so I could snag a CD. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to chat with both Devon Richardson (bass player) and Zach "The Animal" Sutton (drums). I felt a bit like a teenage groupie, but I got them both to sign the CD. But the two other members of the quartet were not to be found. So when I heard that Devin was doing a summer set at the Cameron House in downtown Toronto, I knew I had to go. 

We didn't know what time the set started so we were a bit early and took the opportunity to wander the neighbourhood. Queen Street is an exciting place. Wonderful old architecture melded with modern and one of a kind shops. But even more thrilling for me was to see places like the Horseshoe Tavern and the Rivoli. Iconic bars where many of the Canadian musical artist I love so much now once got their start in the biz. People who live in the city may take these things for granted but I felt like a wide-eyed child at Christmas. And then back to the Cameron House. It's much smaller than I expected for all the big names that have passed through those rickety old doors. The floors are worn bare in parts and look original to the structure. The art on the wall is a stark contrast. I struggle with words to describe it...punkish, like something from a drug-induced trip. I don't know. I liked what I saw, the colours the subject matter, the scale but not something I would want on the walls in my home. With the skeletons and the bugs I was intrigued enough to ask the bartender with the amazing smile the significance of the bugs decorating the walls of the historic building.  Much bigger than any species I have ever seen, they are in fact - ants. The story is entertaining and so I must share. According to the one with the engaging eyes, since the inception of the Cameron House as a venue for the struggling musician, many of the performers had rooms on the upper floor of the house. But zoning by-laws prohibited tenants, so if any city official came by and asked they would honestly say that they did indeed have ten ants living upstairs. Ten ants now decorate the main level of the building...I love it!

Anxious to catch him with my signature request I interrupted Devin Cuddy as he was discussing the set list with his band. Sorry but I was afraid to miss the opportunity. He was very gracious and accommodating and I thank him for that. More so I thank him for the music and the memories. 


In one magical and exciting night, I had the opportunity for a second live experience with the Devin Cuddy band, I met some really great people including my fellow countryman with a swagger and a twinkle in his eye, the wild rocker who partied with a member of the Mothers of Invention in his youth and spent a few hours listening to the up and comers at the Cameron House and Rivoli. Samantha, who caught my eye wearing a dress I bought at Forever 21 in Times Square and showed me why it's good that I gave it away. Samantha who knew all the words to Devin's songs and was so enthusiastic about the music you couldn't help but join her in the dance! And of course a special nod to DG my friend and comrade in arms to all things music. I thank you all. 

There was one other special guest that arrived and caused a bit of a buzz with his appearance. None other than Jim Cuddy showed up to support his son. It's great to see him sing and clap along as part of the audience instead of on stage. Now, I would be lying if I said I wasn't star struck at seeing one of my musical idols sitting at a bar not 10 feet away from me. I wanted to go up to him and just express my admiration and say hi. But it wasn't the place or time and I think you have to respect the man's space. For me, Jim's presence there was a bonus and I for one wasn't going to be the one to interrupt his or my enjoyment of the music we all came to enjoy - the Devin Cuddy Band. Admittedly I did try for a couple of pictures though and when Jim got up to leave, I took a picture for someone who asked and I did shake his hand. 

If you get a chance to experience Devin Cuddy's musical talents - do it!  

Some more pics from that night - serious camera fail (sorry)

Two-Ants on either side of the sign

A sample of the wall artists work



Hello Mr. Cuddy




No comments:

Post a Comment