Sunday, March 18, 2012

I-rish I was Irish

Barrett's Privateers - Signal Hill

Nobody does this song with as much passion as Signal Hill, but this is the song that got the party rolling for me last night during the annual St. Paddy's Day festivities, not in Halifax or Dublin but a wee watering hole in Streetsville. The happiest day of the year it is said. And everybody it seems becomes Irish for a day - the whole day. And being as for the first time in 5 years the day fell on a Saturday, people were determined to do it up right. I know people who were in the bars downing the sudsy brew at 7 am - Halifax really knows how to do it up right! Locally, the consensus seemed to be more around a noonish start time. Either way, the popularity of the event seems to be growing, of course it is another way for the corporations to squeeze a few more dollars from our pockets. The displays of the Pride of the Irish and all things green took up aisles in the stores rivaled only to the space given to Halloween and Valentines Day. It's a bit like Halloween because the paraphernalia for sale is to decorate ourselves - Be on the lookout for leprachaun costumes next year! Mardi Gras type beads, stovetop hats and shamrocks - all green and a lot of glitter. But to be authentic it must be Kelly green or the Emerald green synonymous with the Island where it all began. 

In the last while there seems to be an explosion in the popularity of St. Patricks Day. Not just with those of bar age either. This year would be an exception, but maybe it's the time of year that it falls. Mid-March, we are finally beginning to see the tail end of winter and are ready for a party and a celebration. For some of us - get that mirror away from me lol - any excuse to party will do! The bars and the beer companies go all out to bring in the thirsty with promotional giveaways throughout the night, and we oblige by lining up, then waiting in holding areas before we are let in. But we feel so lucky when finally we become one of the chosen to get in, because through those doors are the friendliest people you will meet. More than any other day in a bar everyone is friendly. Like a family - we are all pretending to be Irish for the day. What is gone from the typical Saturday night at the bar is the fake people dressed to kill looking for a companion to brighten the darkness of the lonely nights. People who have no business wearing pajama pants in public are wearing them tonight because they have shamrocks on them. People are wearing "Kiss me I'm Irish" boxers over track pants - they look ridiculous and they fit in. This is not the meat market of typical Saturday night it is all about the congeniality. 

And to that end, here is a little shout out to the Meadowvale gang that we met. What an awesome bunch of people! New friends, neighbours and high school friends all getting along and enjoying each other but still with enough joy and laughter to share with even more people. You made the evening even more fun! I will look for you when I am cruising above the clouds :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May there always be work for your hands to do.
May your purse always hold a coin or two.
May the sun always shine on your windowpane.
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain. 
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

Ireland, is a place that I have always had an odd attachment too. I say odd, because I have no known heritage to the people of Ireland. But for as long as I have been able to remember, I have wanted to go to there - more than that, I have felt like I need to go there. Long before the days of the internet, I wanted to see and experience the beauty of the land and the people. My knowledge was limited to the awareness of the Irish Potato famine and the violence and devastation caused in the name of religion. Yet in the heyday of the bombings, I longed to go while friends wondered if I had lost my mind. The only thing that deterred me was money. I could barely make it across the street let alone across the world. 

Is it the struggles of the people? The harshness of the economic climate? The history of oppression and poverty? There is a beauty that emanates in the words of the poems, the blessings and the pre-drink cheers. There is a romanticism in the names of the places - Killarney, Galway Bay and Kilkenny. The is a depth in the lyrics sung by the artists like Chris DeBurgh, U2, the Cranberries - a richness in the voices that reminds me of the rich green grasses, the rhythm of the waves pounding the shores. 

You can have your Mexican and Jamaican all inclusive vacations on the sandy beaches. I dream to go to Ireland over anywhere else save maybe Scotland - ayi those kilts! ;)

I-rish you a very nice place to live,
I-rish God's greatest gifts he'll give.
I-rish you health, wealth and more.
I-rish your smilin' face were at my door!


No comments:

Post a Comment