Thursday, July 14, 2011

My trip to Australia

www.pinkpantherfan.ca

Canberra, Australia is an interesting place. From a birds' eye view it looks a bit like a wheel with the Parliament Buildings in the hub and all roads projecting outward like spokes. Although it is located on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, it is a fair distance from the Tasman Sea and the wild blue yonder.
It was a gloriously hot sunny day when I was there. The sky was a magnificent shade of blue with only the thinnest wisps of clouds to be seen. I came to the house of my friend Chara and we decided to venture to the water to take in the sights and enjoy the weather. I left everything I had and brought only a ratty green comforter to lay on. The waves smashing up against the rocks at the waters edge sprayed the crowds gathered and had the youngest of children screaming and calling for more! I have to admit that I found it very refreshing. But the churning rough waters had me nervous and I begged off actually going in. I parked myself on a jagged rock projecting out of the surface of the water, wrapped myself in the comforter so that only my face felt the coolness of the spray. I watched Chara and her other friends frolicking in the water until her screams pierced the air. I reached down and grabbed her limp body and with her friends we hoisted her onto the rock so she could catch her breath.
This girl lived for danger. Moments later she dove right back in. I could take no more of the stress. I wandered off and became immersed in a tourist display that spoke of the history of the land and its' people. I lost track of time and hadn't realized how far I had strayed until I turned to look behind me and all I saw in the distance was the rock breakwall and not a soul at the beach. I became aware of giggles and squeals coming from the west and headed that way - hoping to find Chara and wondering why she left without me.
RV stuffing. What a strange sight! I had never seen anything like it. I'll bet you can fit hundreds of people in one of those. I stood on the side lines and watched until every last person seemed to come out. Panic set in. Chara wasn't to be seen. I was in a strange land with no money, no ID, no idea where Chara even lived. What now?
So tired from the stress, excitement and fresh air; I fell down on the long grass with the last thought running through my mind being "I hope I turned the comforter around so I don't blend in with the colour of the grass and get mowed over"
And then I woke up... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment