Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I Guess I Am a Fool

Bad Timing - Blue Rodeo

I am hurting and feeling pretty gullible and stupid right now. Yet again! And I have to wonder if I will ever get to a point again where hurting me isn't a number one priority for the people who come into my life. I am not that strong, my shoulders are not that big that I can heft the weight of all that is thrust upon me. I feel like the pressure cooker in the kitchen that everyone is afraid to use and go near so it stays hidden in the back of the rarely opened cupboard. All but forgotten. My chest is constricting, it's hard to breath, and I can't stop shaking. 




Thank you to the writing talents of Blue Rodeo's Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor and the soulful voice of Jim Cuddy to help me remember that there will come a day when the tears will dry up.


Bad Timing

Hey it's me, what a big surprise
Calling you up from a restaurant 
Around the bend
I just got in from way up North
I'm aching tired now
And I could use a friend
I might be a fool 
To think that you do
Want to see me again

It's been awhile since I talked to you
Nothing wrong
Just nothing ever goes as planned
Many times I thought I'd call
Didn't have your number in my hand
I know it's true 
You'd never do
The same thing to me

I never meant to make you cry
And though I know I shouldn't call
It just reminds us of the cost
Of everything we've lost
Bad timing that's all

Maybe soon there'll come a day 
When no more tears will fall
If we each forgive a little bit
And we both look back on it
As just bad timing that's all

We used to have so many plans
Something always seemed to turn out wrong
I never could catch up to you
Moving on and doing what you've done
I don't know why
The harder I try
The harder it comes

I never meant to make you cry 
And though I know I shouldn't call 
It just reminds us of the cost 
Of everything we've lost
Bad timing that's all

Maybe soon there'll come a day
When no more tears will fall
If we each forgive a little bit
And we both look back on it
Just bad timing that's all.



And maybe someday there will for even me come a day when tears won't fall. Or at least there may be someone there to help me catch them. If it's not to late. 

What is the cause of the pain. Take your pick...family, men, the system, work,  the mirror...all of it...none of it. It's never so easy as to say it's just one thing. It's too much for one person to handle. It's not one that is resolved before the next rears it's ugly head. It's David fighting an army of Goliaths' all at once with no chance of winning. For there is another battalion of Goliaths' around the bend...waiting. 

In the past little while, I have been paying a lot of attention to the human interest stories of people who have had struggles in their life and have risen above the challenges and come out ahead to achieve great things and make their trials and tribulations have some meaning. And I look upon myself and wonder what's different. Well, I didn't have to look to deep to come to the realization that I have been fighting demons that have been pushing me down while I struggled to stay afloat. The difference between them and me - they had support while I was struggled to maintain the scant amount of self-respect that I was left with. Strength comes from having supporters by your side encouraging you not from people whittling away at your spirit with words used to hurt not love. 

I've said it before, I'll say it again...just because I let you hurt me doesn't mean you should. 


Maybe one day things will change and people will accept some responsibility for the grief they inflict. Maybe they will look in the mirror and see what I see when I look at them. Maybe someday...


Is Anybody Out There? K'Naan feat. Nelly Furtado



No comments:

Post a Comment