Sunday, July 24, 2011

Butterflies are free...

www.pinkpantherfan.ca


Butterflies are magnificent creatures. So beautiful and mystical fluttering about. We eagerly and without thought swat to kill houseflies and mosquitoes. We run in fear of snakes, spiders and other crawly things. We even seek out the best way to destroy the lowly ant...before they make their way into our homes. But not so the butterfly. I can't think of one person who would re-coil at the sight...oh no, in actuality we will stick out our finger and hope it lands on us! We plant flowers and shrubs in our gardens that will attract these creatures to our homes. But why? Only one reason I can think of...they are beautiful to look at.


Much like a butterfly, I cocoon myself to protect myself. But that is where the similarities end. I don't have beautiful wings that people want to admire and be around. I think I am more like a moth - eww...splat...get the moth balls to repeal the hideous things. But in my cocoon (my house, my sanctuary) I am safe. No-one can hurt me - except if they phone and yes I am afraid to answer it. To go out I have to do it alone. And I am out there vulnerable. Vulnerable to their stares, chuckles, judgments and lies. No-one is there to support me, to tell me I am okay, to believe me. And I know that I am going to be told that I have to go out, I have to reach out beyond my comfort zone to heal and become whole again. But do you get how hard it is? No matter how much I paint my wings, I'll always be the moth that no one likes, that is not good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment