Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Canada's Got Talent - according to me!

Somebody That I Used to Know - Walk off the Earth 
Gotye cover


I am just going to give a shout out to this band because I think they are amazing. If you know me, you know I am passionate about music and I especially love Canadian talent. What can I say, musicians and comedians you can't compete with the originality and style of our own home-grown Canucks. Not everyone will agree I am sure but I find that for the most part, there is something that I cannot pinpoint or define in words that when I hear a song I feel like it has a uniquely Canadian style...and with the exception of some San Francisco bands...I am rarely wrong. I know it is weird, but it is true.

I first heard Walk Off the Earth and this particular song when someone posted it on facebook. I was enthralled and shared it on my wall. I wasn't alone, within a day or two, this video was being talked about on Breakfast Television and the Toronto newscasts. In less than a week, they made an appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres show boasting 32 million YouTube hits! I laughed when Ellen presented the band with 5 electric guitars and amps so they wouldn't have to share a guitar anymore. Made for good television and it was comical but having watched all of their other videos they have posted on YouTube, it wasn't necessary. Making what they hope will be a "catchy" video for their audience, Walk Off the Earth routinely throw guitars, ukuleles around the set and share instruments. It seems they would do anything to make a video that is more than just a band sitting/standing with their instrument making music. But comedy routines aside, you wouldn't bother watching if the music wasn't good. Admittedly, I have never been a huge fan of covers as I generally prefer the original version. Although UB40's version of Neil Diamonds' Red Red Wine was a notably exception. UB40 never tried to make it sound like Neil's and I think that was the appeal. It was completely different, they took a ballad and gave it a reggae and feel. To this day, I can't decide which one I like better as they both have their merits, but they are like two completely different songs. 

Back to Walk Off the Earth. While they do write some of their own songs, I have to admit that most of my favourite songs in their repertoire are the covers that they do. They don't make drastic beat changes like UB40 but they do make it their own, so much so that I prefer their version in most cases. It is the quality/richness of their voices and their harmonies. They have a unique sound to their voices and something that pulls you in. And yes, I admit the fact that they are all easy on the eyes sure doesn't hurt. Even the seeming stoic "bearded guy" draws people to want more. The talent of the band is outstanding, They play a multitude of instruments and aren't afraid to think outside of the box and use household objects to get just the right sound, like the microwave opening and closing. Watch closely and you will even see a drumstick attached to a mandolin so more than one instrument can be played simultaneously. 

Without a label backing them up, and using their own funds and in some cases decidedly unprofessional equipment, Walk Off the Earth has put out 3 albums and over 60 videos on YouTube. They hail from Burlington, Ontario, which is between Toronto and Niagara Falls in the Golden Horseshoe. You don't have to like them but if you do, let them know and subscribe to their channel. Give them a chance. You will know which songs are covers, listen to both versions and then decide if what I am saying has any merit :)

Here are a few of my favourites (beside the one at the top of course):
Home -  Mumford and Sons cover
Sunburnt Hands - Danny Tieger cover
Backin' Up Song - Gregory Brothers cover
Corner of Queen - original composition

Enjoy and always - share the music with the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment