Monday, January 02, 2012

Linda Sdraulig - So many qualities of an Angel that she became one

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce


Because people often ask about the relationship between song and blog (hey that rhymes :) On the last day of her short life, my youngest sister Linda said that this was her favourite song. And truth be told if I could save time in a bottle I would put that moment in the bottle and live there forever. Like it was yesterday, I remember the exact moment that the conversation took place. The whole family was in the car talking about our favourite songs. This was Linda's, Mom's was All I Know by Art Garfunkel. Sandra's had just begun to play - Photograph by Ringo Starr.  We were just driving over the railway tracks near Intercity Mall heading out of town. The car was packed and it was March break, March 21, 1974


Linda and I in 1972 in dance costumes


Today I am remembering Linda Sdraulig, who at the tender age of 10 possessed so many qualities of an angel that she was taken to become one of them. In the earthly world I celebrate her birth and rejoice that at least I had the privilege to know her. She was my best friend. When I think of sisters who in adulthood have a close relationship, I think that Linda and I would have been like that. We had so much in common. We loved being girls and everything that meant in the early 1970's. Dresses and shoes, fashion and music, dolls and art. We were creative and loved to talk and dream. Sandra, my oldest sister, as a new teenager was just coming to realize that her favourite companions were more than just teammates...they were boys. She began to understand what Linda and I were so passionate about. Boys were more than just for wrestling and beating at sports. It was a great time in my life and I am glad that if I have nothing else, at least I have my memories. And music will bring those visions and feelings come back like a cloudburst. A cloudburst that can sometimes go on long past the last chord played. 


I think it is ironic and very interesting the specific songs that were deemed as favourites on that day. Considering the tragic events that occurred a mere 12 hours later, these lyrics from Art Garfunkel are almost prophetic. Knowing now the deep love between my parents that ending to fast and too soon, I can understand why this song meant so much to her.


"But the ending always comes at last
Endings always come too fast
They come to fast, but they pass too slow
I love you, and that's all I know"


But Ringo, perhaps most of all reflects all my thoughts and feelings about the events of that March day that changed my life forever. Every word, every phrase could have been written for me...about us. While you listen, consider the lyrics. They mean so much...





"Now you're expecting me to live without you,
But that's not something that i'm looking forward to."

No comments:

Post a Comment