Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Am Free to be Me and You are Free to Dislike That.

I Could Give You More - 54-40

Christmas 2011 is a memory as is the frantic shoppers in the malls scrambling for the bargains on Boxing Day. I didn't spend a lot of time in the malls but in all, I really didn't find the insanity usually associated with the high stress season. With one notable exception, a "friend" on facebook complained about being hit with a shopping cart in a grocery store 3 times. When it happened a fourth time he rammed his cart into the lady quipping that he did it because he was in the spirit of giving. So he took his frustration with the other shoppers' actions and perhaps his own stress out on someone who very likely unintentionally bumped him. Seriously, how many of us have been hit in the back of the heel with a cart. Yes, it stings but it is barely life-threatening. Well, I took him to task on his childish behaviour - suggested he go have a stiff drink and calm down before he actually kills someone because they look at him askance. We are no longer "friends". lol! It's a good thing, I dislike it when someone thinks they are better than someone else.

I know that feeling and it hurts. Regardless of the level of your self-esteem, someone who belittles you for who you are invariably takes the wind out of your sails. You don't stand quite as tall and you question if what they see is maybe true and you have it all wrong. Repeatedly over the past years it has happened to me by certain people, I have tried to brush it off but sometimes it is just too hard. Sometimes you are so proud of your accomplishments that when you are put down you want to break down. I am non-confrontational, I will take what you say, even if it hurts and eat it like I deserve it. Call it years of conditioning - learned behaviour. I let it go, not by talking to the offender but by writing. Another learned behaviour - and I have years of journals and diaries to show for that. Well, someone read what I wrote and not understanding where it came from and why, took personal offense to it. It is perhaps unfortunate that the issue did not come to a conclusion when it happened and that is my fault, but being it isn't the first time it happened, I won't take all the blame. Besides a Christmas gathering may not be the best setting for airing concerns. 

But the rest of the holiday celebrations went fabulously. Holding true to my belief that all I wanted for Christmas couldn't be bought in a store, I requested no gift that was worn or dusted. I forced the gift buyers into really thinking about their choices, because they couldn't wander the mall and grab the first decent item they saw. So many gifts are not chosen with the recipient in mind but rather some form of media told them that this was the must have item this season, it has to be bought because everyone else was getting or got one already. I will be going to see Jim Cuddy in concert with a guest of my choosing, I will be attending a comedy performance with my son, and even though it must be dusted - a new Pink Panther clock hangs on the wall above my work station. And I feel the love with each and every item. And each item that I gave, I gave with love and thoughtfulness. 

Christmas doesn't have to be about the money spent. 

I heard a news item in the days before Christmas that the average amount of money that people expected to spend on gifts was $1000, and most had not saved that much. With the demand for the latest and greatest electronics the hot ticket items for wrapping to put under the tree, I can see that number being significantly higher. A smart phone runs say $500, a must have tablet is $700 and the price of a flat screen TV is right up there as well. And that is one gift...one person. So it is off to the dollar store to finish off the rest of the list...lol! Jimmy Kimmel, a late night talk show host sent out a video challenge for parents to wrap up ordinary items and tell kids that they could open up this one gift early. The resulting footage was comical and sad. 

Jimmy Kimmel Show - Terrible Present Challenge

Some of the kids were a little miffed and the boy who tells his sister to be appreciative for a half eaten sandwich restores my faith in humanity. The boy who had a temper tantrum and physically and verbally lashed out at his parents needs some lessons in humility and graciousness. The bottom line is the kids were for the most part rude and ungrateful. This was a prank. 

Twitter saw a host of tweets from disgruntled gift recipients. Sadly absurd, people complained that they got an iPad instead of an iPhone, or a car. Parents were sworn at and called a host of derogatory names for not fulfilling the outrageously expensive demands of the spoiled offspring. There were threats of death and self-harm. Mostly it was whining and childish. A car for Christmas! Wow, that's not asking for a lot. In my world, you would be sorely disappointed and hate me. And I am more than okay with that! Your opinion doesn't define me. 

I am free to be me and you are free to dislike that. In this day and age it is as easy as clicking the "unfriend" button on facebook. No offense taken, it's probably for the best. Have a fabulous day! SMILE! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment