Monday, December 12, 2011

Blue Rodeo - More than Small Miracles!

Try - Blue Rodeo

What kind of fan would I be if I didn't acknowledge the accolade that have been bestowed upon the greatest (in my opinion) bands in Canadian history. BLUE RODEO is to be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame at the 2012 Juno Awards, according to the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Spanning their 25+ year career, Blue Rodeo has won 11 Juno Awards over the years and given the adoring public 12 studio albums. Personally I can't get enough. 

Although Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor have been collaborating since their high school days in 1977 as a psuedo-punk band trying to crack the New York City music scene, it wasn't until 1984 that the boys returned to Toronto to form Blue Rodeo. Their first album Outskirts was released in 1987 and spawned the above hit Try. 

Outskirts and Try was my introduction into Blue Rodeo. A crossover band that at times has struggled with the notion that they were a country band, trying to break into the mainstream top 40 radio playlist. I still find some people who think they are a predominately country band. While there are some tracks that do have that country feel, the talent of these boys transcends to many genres. You cannot pigeon hole them. 

Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor of Blue Rodeo

Blue Rodeo is the only band that I would pay money to go see live. What I hear on the mass recording is what I hear on the live albums and in concert. It is a true sound based on music they create, play and sing. There is no need for a lot of electronic enhancement to make them sound better. Sadly, I have only been able to see them live once. I just never had the finances to put towards concert tickets - well I tried but the ankle-biters insisted on eating. :) But the one concert I saw was amazing, a small venue, a county fair. I was beside myself with joy. 

Maybe it was because I sacrificed in order to feed him, but when my son went off to university, he would go to a bar and listen to a band he had come to like. Signal Hill played Sunday evenings at the Lower Deck in Halifax and they did an excellent version of Blue Rodeo's Try. And now and then, I would get this crazy phone call that just sounded like a lot of undecipherable noise. But it was in fact Signal Hill playing the requested song for his mother many miles away. Try...It warms my heart thinking about it.

As a band, Blue Rodeo has sold over 4 million records. Both Jim and Greg have managed to have successful solo careers, always returning to collaborate once again. If you enjoy Blue Rodeo, I encourage you to look into the solo efforts that the boys have put out. Talented in their own right and phenomenal as a team. 

I can't pick any one song that I would lay down and say this is my favourite Blue Rodeo song, because so many of them have meaning for me. A connection to a moment or person in my life. The music moves my soul, and warms my heart the lyrics speak to me. For every emotion there is a song that comforts me. It is the music of my life. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't had a chance to experience and enjoy the talent which is Blue Rodeo! Do it now!

All The Things That Are Left Behind - Blue Rodeo

So finally Blue Rodeo will get some well deserved recognition for there musical contribution by the CARAS - Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. I'm only disappointed that it took this long, but I offer my heart felt congratulations to Jim Cuddy, Greg Keelor and the rest of the band. It is more than well deserved and well earned! By far the best of Canada and this saying a lot considering the wealth of musical talent here in the north!

If I have peaked your curiousity and you would like to hear or learn more about BLUE RODEO, I invite you to check out their website at
www.bluerodeo.com
and look up some of their music on YouTube. Each album has its own unique feel and sound. Don't like one, TRY another :)

Love it like I do? Let's get LOST TOGETHER...


1 comment:

  1. It is not possible to pigeon-hole Blue Rodeo music into just one category. They speak musically from their heart and are guided by their spirit. When you write music of your life, it changes as does the stages of your life...
    Do not judge Blue Rodeo or any other music by just one song - ever!

    ReplyDelete