Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Life imitating Song

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer


I was initially looking for the Irish Rovers version of this song which I think is far superior to anything else I have heard but alas it was not to be. Maybe the next thing I will have to learn is how to upload and make videos for YouTube. Well, maybe after I learn how to upload a powerpoint presentation for easy viewing on my website. :)


But, I digress...I was out and about earlier and I was sandwiched between two vehicles with antlers protruding from their side windows. The guy behind me had a red ball fastened to the grill of his car, I have no doubt that the guy ahead was similarly festooned. Do they really believe that their vehicles now look anything like a reindeer (in particular Rudolph)? Not even if they were driving an brown coloured Impala! But that would be a comical story if such a decorated vehicle actually hit a Granny on Christmas Eve. Life imitating art! or Song? 


It never ceases to amaze me - the stupidest things that people will spend there money on. Man, you can sell just about anything to anyone with the right marketing. Think Pet Rocks, followed by Pet Sticks. Those "inventors" laughed all the way to the bank to be sure. I wouldn't mind doing that myself!


So, it makes me wonder why someone feels the need to decorate their car. Did they deck out their house inside and out and then their car sitting in the driveway looked out of place? Does seeing a decorated vehicle put you in the Christmas spirit?  In the mall parking lot, I passed a vehicle with a wreath attached to the grill and another with elaborately tied bows covering the grill. The only time I would really appreciate a bow on a vehicle is if that vehicle was a gift sitting in my driveway. But to be sure, I would take the bow off before I went cruising.


The best gifts I ever received where my children. It wasn't Christmas but I had most assuredly asked for them. I tried to put bows on them when we went out in public, but he kept ripping it out of his hair and off his clothes :) She only tolerated it until she was old enough to dress herself. I got to dress them up and play with them and as they got older, they stopped wearing the clothes I bought. But although some of the games we play have changed, we still play and laugh together. I don't want or need another trinket to sit on a shelf gathering dust, I have enough clothes to put on my back. My children are a gift to me everyday...even if they are not decorated as such. 


If you are out shopping and see antlers and other Christmas decorations for a car. Stop, put it down and give the money to a local charity. That is a better way of spreading Christmas and Holiday Cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment