Friday, December 30, 2016

Time for Version 2.349

Lost and Lazy by 54-40

Time.

It's been on my mind a lot of late. Stands to reason, with one year winding down and new fresh start about to break free. Many of us begin to contemplate resolutions, things we want to change or improve with ourselves and our lives over the coming year. But I prefer to think in terms of dreams and hopes. Like, I hope I see the end of 2017 :)

There seems to be more than the usual amount of people anxious to see the back end of 2016. Can't say that I blame them in some respect but I cringe at the thought of wishing away time!

2016 did not offer enough time for way too many celebrities and musicians that us baby boomers felt a little too acutely. Musicians included David Bowie, George Michael, Prince, Glenn Frey, Merle Haggard (who died on his birthday), Leonard Cohen, George Martin, Greg Lake, Keith Emmerson, Paul Katner and Maurice White. And that's just scratching the surface. The thing is, many of these artists died of age related complications and they are my age! 

I don't have hard facts to back it up, but I wouldn't argue with the suggestion that 2016 was the year the music died. Of course, the day that the music died is considered to be February 3, 1959 when Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson along with their pilot died in a single plane crash. 

Time stopped for many celebrities that also fell into the category of boomer age or those we grew up watching. Our Brady mom, Florence Henderson, Abe Vigoda, Alan Rickman, Pat Harrington, Doris Roberts, Garry Marshall, Gene Wilder, Gordie Howe, Alan Thicke and of course Carrie Fisher followed one day later by her mom Debbie Reynolds.

It seemed all a little overwhelming. Every other day another idol - gone. Heart attacks, Alzheimers, cancer. Diseases and ailments we can all contract. It's quite different from the drug or booze filled tragedies that took our celebrities too young. The 27 club. Or accidents like the above mentioned plane crash.

So, what do we do with our time. We all know that nothing is guaranteed. How do we want to spend the moments we have?

It's a subject that seems to have come up very often this year in particular. We all have time to take care of necessary business (work, chores, sleep, etc) and a varying amount of free time. Leisure. I wouldn't judge how anyone chooses to spend their time, but I would remind them that the decision is not set in stone. 

In my last few years, I have become more spontaneous for this very reason. I don't want life to pass me by while I am watching TV or checking out Facebook. Although I must say that those activities can sure be easier on the pocket book than the concert tickets or meals out. Fact is, every time you walk out the door it is likely gonna cost you money. A little or a lot...although sometimes none. 

But while I am out gallivanting about town, my dishes are not getting done, Twitter is chirping merrily along, another episode has aired, and facebook has no idea what has become of me. But I have met some awesome people and musicians, I have volunteered to make my community a better place, I have been there for my friends, and they have been there for me. 

My personal relationships have never been so strong. Because I started (still a work in progress) to pick up the phone to call a friend instead of messaging. I gotta say, it feels good. But it takes time. I can't multi-task as well, I certainly can't talk to 2, 3 or more people at one time - unless a group convo. I want to do my part to ensure that the art of conversation does not go down the same dead end road that cursive writing seems to be heading for.  


I don't want to find myself in hell! As I am older, I am wiser. I will continually strive to be a better version of myself. If technology has taught us nothing else, it has shown us that there are always tweaks that can be made to improve the core project. 

But I must act quickly before I run out of time! The most precious of commodities that can be neither bought nor sold. Just borrowed. 

Please, when we get the chance to be with each other, take the time to see me and be with me. There will be plenty of time for selfies, texts, and games when I'm gone. I'm gonna try and I hope you will too! 

If you need me, have patience I can't hear the phone ring over the sound of the music or laughter!


No comments:

Post a Comment