Monday, November 21, 2011

Dare to be Different!

World Sick - Broken Social Scene

Thankfully some of us have the courage to stand up for our beliefs and not be 


bullied by the narrow-minded minority...I support the right of the Occupation 


to  stand their ground as I support Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela and everyone    


else who dares to be different!!!!!!!


So the folks holding the Occupy Toronto protest in St. James park for the past month have been officially and legally evicted. I am not going to shoot my mouth off and profess to know all the ins and outs about the purpose or intent of the Occupation in Toronto, Wall Street, Oakland or anywhere else. What I feel strongly about is their courage and right to protest. It seems to me that with the exception of some inconvenience in the physical occupation of parks and traffic disruption from marches along city streets, it is very peaceful. Peaceful until they are bullied by "superiors". 


So that's it! I feel a connection because I know what it feels like. Well not the protest and speaking up for my rights part. I can only wish I had the courage to stop people from walking all over me and using me. People ask me for favours and I bend over backwards to accommodate - even at the expense of my preferences. If I say I will be there for you, You can bet that I will be! But stand up and protect myself, no I don't do that. I hide behind my wall and if you hurt me, I bury the pain. No one has known my pain, no one will every really understand it. And I will never understand the true nature of your trials either. 


The Occupation has gotten together as a united front - with strength in numbers  - to speak their mind and cry out against injustice. It doesn't really matter if you or I agree with them, for there is a good chance we don't understand what motivates them. We don't know of the pain they carry. 


If they must leave St. James park as the judge has decreed, then I hope that they leave peacefully. Not because I am unsympathetic to their cause but I don't want to see anyone harmed. No one should have their personal safety endangered simply because they chose to stand up and speak where others were afraid to. For it is those narrow-minded morons who sit in their glass houses and throw stones at the very people who made sure they were safe and free. 


Consider this quote that I found on facebook commenting on the Occupation Toronto movement...name intentionally omitted to save from further embarrassment "like get a life people...you had your protest...move on". Thankfully previous generations didn't have the same callous attitude towards the African Americans protesting against slavery, the woman fighting for equality, the Jewish population fighting for their lives...


Get a life indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment